8 Days Jomolhari Trek in Bhutan
This is a classic 8 days Jomolhari trek. Trek duration is 8-days. Total distance covered 121 kms, average walking distance 16 kms a day, walking time: 7 – 9 hours, highest campsite at 4100 meters. The highest elevation is 4700 M. Starting point Shana, Paro and ending at Dodena near Thimphu. Passing through the Yak Herders’ camp at Tegethang before reaching Jomolhari base camp at 4115 meters and passes like Nyelela (4700 m), Yalila (4930 m). You can see Spectacular views of Jumolhari Mountain (7314 m), Jichu Drakey, Thserim gang and Masagang besides diverse Flora and fauna including Blue Poppy (National Flower of Bhutan), herds of Blue sheep and Takins.
Facts about the 8 days Jomolhari Trek:
- Duration: 11 nights / 12 days.
- Trek Duration: 8 days.
- Accommodation: Hotels, Resorts and Tents.
- Activity Type: Walking, Trekking & Tour.
- Difficulty Level: Strenuous.
- Group size: Minimum 2 pax.
- Best Months to do this Trek: March to June and September to 2nd Week of December.
- Trek distance: 121 Km.
- Highest altitude: 4700 m.
- Start Point: Shana.
- Finish Point: Dodena Valley (Thimphu).
Sketch Itinerary: 8 Days Jomolhari Trek in Bhutan.
Day 01. Arrival at Paro 2280 meters.
Day 02. Paro sightseeing – Hike to Taktsang Monastery (The Tiger’s Nest).
Day 03. Paro – Shana – Thang thangkha (Start of Trek) Altitude: 3610 m; Distance 22 Km; Time 7 – 8 hours. (Ascent 770 meters, Descent 10 meters).
Day 04. Thangthangka – Jangothang- Altitude: 4080 m; Distance 19 Km; Time 5 – 6 hours. (Ascent 480 meters).
Day 05. Jangothang – For Day hikes, you have 3 options on this day at Jangothang.
- Hike to Jomolhari Glacier which is around 4 ½ hours (Back and forth)
- Hike to Jichu Drake Glacier which is around 3 hours (Back and Forth).
- Walk up the mountain between Jomolhari and Jichu Drake, the summit is at 5200 meters with a great view of both the mountains. This is 8 hours (Back and forth).
Day 06. Jangothang – Lingshi: Camp altitude is 4010 meters. 18 km, Walking time: 6-7 hours, Ascent 840 meters, Descent: 870 meters.
Day 07. Lingshi – Shodu: Camp at Shodu: 4080 meters. Distance: 22 km, 8-9 hours walk. (Ascent 940 meters, Descent 920 meters).
Day 08. Shodu – Barshong: Camp at Altitude: 3710 meters. 16 km. Walking time 5-6 hours, Ascent 250 meters, Descent: 670 meters.
Day 09. Barshong – Dolamkencho: Camp at the altitude 3320 meters. 15 km. Walking time 4-6 hours, Ascent 290 meters, Descent 640 meters.
Day 10. Dolamkencho – Dodena – Thimphu: Distance 8 km, 4 hours walk. Ascent 500 meters, Descent 930 meters.
Day 11. Thimphu sightseeing.
Day 12. Departure
View our 8 days Jomolhari trek in Google Map.